|Jan - March 2016
14-year-old with avascular necrosis
(AVN) recovers speedily
Children forget Sickle Cell pain
Hospitalization down to few or NONE
6TH African SCD Symposium
endorses Hydroxyurea for Africa.
DIARY: (Nigeria!) An incredible tale of
well-educated folks, scientists, VIPs
seeking cures for SCD at the hands of
alternative medical practitioners!
Construction wades into crises of
|1. M O N E Y: The Financial Toll of SCD … by the time a survivor reaches 45
years of age, millions from insurance or out of pocket would have been spent....
How corruption shortens life in Africa. Families pushed to the brink of poverty
by repeated illness
2. Olusegun Obasanjo: several of his siblings and none of his half-brothers and
sisters survived infancy. Yoruba culture said it was abiku’. We now know it was
3. Ambassador (Chief) Yomi Akintola, Bashorun of Ogbomoso: ‘My Daughter’s
SCD proved amenable to management’
4. Pastor Dickson Ibekwe, Chairman, Dabma Sickle Cell Foundation: ‘It’s high
time NIGERIA DECLARED A STATE OF EMERGENCY ON SCD!’
5. INTERVIEW: Arafa Salim Said, President/CEO, Sickle Cell Patients’
Community of Tanzania Sickle Cell, on pregnancy and motherhood
6. Trado-Medical Practitioner pledged $27000 to rid child of SCD crises for 12
|• Father, Daughter, Log 135
years of life with SCD!
• The challenges of
transitioning from paediatric
to adult care.
• World Sickle Cell Day –
reports from around the globe
• Hadiza Buhari: My Passion
For SCD sparked by relatives
with the disease
• Shortage of Transplant
Organs: Scientists grow
human organs in Pigs!
• In Memoriam: ‘Matriarch of
Sickle Cell’, Vernice Joyner-
|Oct - Dec 2016
|1. Choosing your baby's
2. Interview with
Adenrele Ashiru (OFR),
pioneer of IVF, PIGD in
3. FGN revives Niprisan
with 'social production''
for Nigerians only
4. 'SCD will never get me
kissing the dust again!' -
5. Book Review The
|SPACE FOR SALE
6 months/9 months/12 months (renewable)